THE 5TH ARC ANNUAL CONFERENCE AND EXPO TOOK PLACE ON 2 AND 3 AUGUST 2017 AT THE BEAUTIFUL VAL DE VIE ‘SUPER ESTATE’ (WHICH NOW INCORPORATES PEARL VALLEY), WHILE THE ARC ANNUAL GOLF DAY WAS HELD ON 4 AUGUST AT THE PEARL VALLEY GOLF COURSE AT VAL DE VIE.
Over 150 high-profile stakeholders belonging to the residential community industry were in attendance, the largest turnout for the event, which was held for the first time in the Western Cape. The events attracted delegates from the Free State, Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, North West, southern and Eastern Cape and the Western Cape, as well as a selection of international participants. The conference programme (detailed programme below) covered six themed sessions over two days, with the key imperatives within each theme explored in greater detail. These interactive sessions were facilitated by experts from the residential community industry and included specialist input, panel and group discussions and lively debate. The six themes included:
- Security, risk, systems, technology, guarding and access control, led and facilitated by Hannes Hendriks and Dirk Uys, and sponsored by Impro Technologies
- Environment and water, going green, conservation, sustainability and waste, led and facilitated by Stephan Vorster
- Staffing and performance, job descriptions, performance criteria, succession planning and training, led and facilitated by Liezl Clause and sponsored by Workforce Management Solutions
- Legal compliance and governance, CSOS, Companies Act, STMA, policies and procedures, rules and regulations and dispute resolution, led and facilitated by Glynis Coetzee and Lazelle Paola
- Communications, telecommunication, IT and customer management, websites, publications and social media, led and facilitated by Henk Booysen and sponsored by Telkom
- Community management, manager and director roles and responsibilities and stakeholder management
- The conference closing panel discussion and debate were facilitated by Francois Schoeman and Jeff Gilmour.
We were privileged to have two renowned keynote speakers who provided us with new insights in entertaining and informative addresses. Lorne Sulcas addressed the delegation on the first day with her presentation on Thriving in a Wild World™ – Powerful Success Lessons from Africa’s Three Big Cats, while Chantell Ilbury gave an informative presentation on ‘Shifting Scenarios – the possible futures for South Africa’ on the second day. Our sponsors were again extremely generous and contributed hugely to the success of the event. A huge thank you to Telkom who so generously sponsored all the available accommodation at Pearl Valley, making it possible for most of the delegates to attend. Our Golf Day sponsor was Servest, who, along with Impro, Workforce Management Solutions and Telkom, also each sponsored a conference session, while Cell C kindly sponsored a lunch and MTN a tea. As always, the production and publishing of the Residential Estate Industry Journal is completed by the Estate Living team, who make it possible for us to share industry expertise and help us to grow as a community. Another big thank you goes to all our exhibitors who helped to create wonderful and informative displays of their offerings to the industry and participated in the conference. These include B-Safe Systems, Cell C, Estate Living, FNB, Gurumanzi, Impro Technologies, Kusile Consulting Services, MTN, National Emergency Medical Services (NEMS), NIC Brokers, Real Estate Development Interactive (REDi), Servest, Telkom, Universality and Workforce Management Solutions. All delegates and sponsors attended a sparkling gala dinner at Val de Vie on
Wednesday 2 August and were entertained by the well-known singer and songwriter MD Greyling. Following the last day of the conference, delegates relaxed over an informal ‘build your own burger’ dinner, while others prepared for a good day ‘on course’ at the ARC Annual Golf Day – with the chance to walk away with the prestigious winning estate floating trophy. The Golf Day and Prize Giving Dinner took place at Pearl Valley Golf Course and Country Club, with thanks going to Servest for sponsoring this part of the evening. While the golfers were busy on the course, Telkom treated the non-golfers and those partners who accompanied delegates to a truly memorable wine experience at L’Huguenot at Val de Vie.
Thank you to everyone who participated, we hope to see you all again next year!
The 2017 ARC Annual Conference and EXPO be held at Val de Vie in Paarl, Western Cape on the 2nd and 3rd of August. This will be followed by our annual Member’s Golf Day at Pearl Valley Golf Estate on the 4th of August. For more information on how you can attend, please see the above delegate invitation.